Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Two Birds with one Stadium


Black and orange; the colors swam through my blood stream while my mother, an Orioles fanatic, prepared me for my first baseball game. We traveled from Arkansas to Maryland to watch. Fans flock from all over the country to see “The Birds” play at Ripken Stadium. Thus, the Orioles stadium provides a nostalgic, family-friendly event, and an All-American tradition of watching baseball, in a stadium that has been around for as long as families remember.
You can see the stadium from a mile away; you’ve almost reached “Bird Land.”  Though every person has a different experience, each person shares one thing: walking through the stadium gate that awaits the magic. This memory, along with countless others created with family and friends, is one reason how the Orioles stadium creates nostalgia. Your spirit heightens as you look for your seat; you look around to see fellow fans all ready to experience the Orioles.
Ripken Stadium gathers people from all backgrounds because of the love for an All-American sport. Toddlers who grow into the elderly that fill the stadium can enjoy a baseball game because the stadium welcomes everyone; giving fans a place to congregate and come together to feel part of the team that represents most fans’ hometown.                
These are important aspects to consider when thinking in terms of preservation because with all of the changes that people are challenged with; the Orioles stadium has always been there, creating a sense of stability in an all-changing world.

Word Count: 246

4 comments:

  1. I love baseball games too, if not for the sport, but for the social environment!! Haha! The sentence, "This memory, along with countless others created with family and friends, is one reason how the Orioles stadium creates nostalgia." was a little awkward-sounding. It sounds better if you replace the word "how" with "why". Also, if I'm not mistaken (I'm not the most baseball-incline), "Ripken Stadium" is different from "Camden Yards" or "Oriole Park." The Orioles play at Camden Yards, while the Orioles "Short Season" play at Ripken Stadium. But I might have just read your blog differently than you meant it to be read. Great choice, though, for a place to preserve!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That place is great I go as often as I can in the summer time. There really is not many stadiums as fulfilling as this one. It would never be the same if we were to have to watch the Orioles play elsewhere.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I still attend Orioles games frequently and agree completely that it should be preserved and admired. This phrase "walking through the stadium gate that awaits the magic" didn't make sense to me, maybe "anticipating the magic" would sound better depending on what you're trying to say. I also don't think you used the semicolons correctly, but I'm not totally sure, so that might be worth double checking.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like how you start off your essay with your personal connection to the stadium. One thing I am not sure about is which stadium you are talking about. I think that you mean Camden Yards. Ripken Stadium is where the Aberdeen Ironbirds play, so you may want to double check which stadium you want. Other than that, I like the description of the experience that you give.

    ReplyDelete