Saturday, October 16, 2010

Intolerance Will Not Be Accepted

Intolerance Will Not Be Accepted
Valerie Koury
Word Count: 298
I was drowning; he was unaware I was gone. I had no idea that the person who would become my best friend was letting me drown at the time. This created a strong friendship. He confided in me his secret sexuality; I confided that I had a homosexual sister. I never stopped accepting him for exactly who he was, but Sam neither accepted himself, nor did he allow others to accept him. He feared rejection and ostracism from his family and peers. It was not fair to me, nor was it fair to Sam that he felt it necessary to end his life because he could not bare the overburdening acts of bullying any longer. I panicked at the thought of Sam’s potential suicide. Would I lose my best friend to the discrimination that society imposes on those who love differently?
With Sam’s life in my hands as motivation, I took an enormous leap of courage and sought help. Without revealing his homosexuality, I informed his mother about the bullying Sam had undergone. Knowing he would be unbelievably upset with me for what seems an act of betrayal and risking our friendship, I attempted to save the world from a tremendous loss.
I lost Sam as a friend that day. But losing someone as a friend is better than losing them as a person. I accepted my moral obligation to help a friend in desperate need; I would not let my friend drown in the murky water he saw as life.  
Tolerance is an objective attitude; acceptance is a fully assenting attitude. “Each person deserves [my] respect. Everyone has the right to their own opinions, but not the right to hurt people and put them down because of who they are” (Nicole King). Intolerance will not be accepted.

Belief: Acceptance.

10 comments:

  1. Your third paragraph says it all. You are truly a good friend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This essay is very powerful. You explain the emotions well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. you're really good at expressing your emotion! I enjoyed reading this! and im sure dr. king will appreciate the quote, it is soo true!! good job!

    ReplyDelete
  4. thank you! that's reassuring, :) I appreciate your positive feedback and I'm excited to hear/read all of yours!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think your essay is really well-written and I think it was brave of you to write about your experience. I also thought you did really well reading in front of the class, you flowed through your paper with ease. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think you did a great job. This experience is obviously very emotional for you and that is shown well in your paper.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I can honestly say that you are one of the better writers that I've seen and heard so far at UMBC. your word choice is dead on as well as your presentation. And... of course you would be flawless with your grammar. But I admire you for your courage Val. Very nicely done. I do think however, that you should quote Professor King outside of the quotation marks.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This was a overall a great essay. I loved your introduction and you had a great use of word choice in your essay.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your speech in class was extremely passionate, which is important. I'm happy someone in the class was able to find something they actually believe and then translate that into the assignment

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love everything you write you have a great way of drawing in the reader. It's really awesome and I have learned so much from you already I cannot wait to hear more from you!

    ReplyDelete