Saturday, September 4, 2010

What's Your Secret? AMST Blog 1

Downtown D.C. near the Capitol Building, Pennsylvania Ave.

  “…as far as I’m concerned, I’m not here to live a normal life. I’m sent here on a mission…” (Howard Finster). Mission impossible? No way. Mission accomplished? Not yet. My mission is to help others express and embrace themselves in all of their uniqueness. I enjoy delving into the inner workings of my peers to seek out their secrets. Postsecret motivated me to see what people keep hidden away and to assist them in freeing themselves from their secrets.  And who am I, you inquire? Just your average Arab girl from Osceola, Arkansas. Howdy! I am the daughter of my Palestinian parents, fourth of five children, and a first generation student of UMBC. I am majoring in Psychology with hopes of pursuing a career in Child Life SpecializationMy passion is learning about and helping others. This summer, I volunteered at the Maryland Special Olympics, an amazingly heart-warming experience.


Word Count: 149
 

7 comments:

  1. That's awesome that you volunteered at the Special Olympics. I was apart of the Best Buddies club at my high school for two years.

    I also thought that the "Postsecret" website was really fascinating!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Valerie- I see from reading your blog that you volunteer at the Special Olympics. Two children that live next door to me are autistic and they participate every year. This competition is the highlight of their summer. Thank you so much for giving your time to help others. You really get more than you give when you volunteer!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's really nice to know that there are people out there who love to volunteer for the special olympics. I also volunteered for the special olympics @ towson. It was soo much fun! My brother was a special olympics athlete until he got kicked out for bad behavior 3 years ago. We'll get him back in there hopefully! also, its nice to know theres another arab in the class :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think it's really cool that you strive to find out about your peers. It's also good that you like how everyone is unique and different.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just loved your opening! It was amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your major sounds so interesting. I am sure it is going to be a very rewarding field.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What is your religion? I know this is a strange question, but you have such a good outlook on your life. Helping others, supporting others, and helping/having fun at Special Olympics.

    Post Secret helped save my life. And I think it takes a special person to become a psychologist.

    P.s. I'm taking that quote for my facebook, it's really a great quote to remember.

    ReplyDelete