Monday, September 13, 2010

Twirls, Loops, and Other Forms of Communication

      Twirls, loops, with precise pencil strokes across the dotted line, I carefully crafted the letters into what seemed to be jumbled mess. I was copying my name, a miniscule task to a third grader. Yet, I was impeded by a challenge: Cursive handwriting. I was scolded for not holding my pencil correctly; for not remembering how many humps went for an “m” and an “n”; for failing to not make my letters with as much precision as my peers.
      I was determined to write something, despite how illegible my handwriting looked. Writing and reading always captured my attention; I attempted to fill my insatiable thirst for knowledge by practicing writing and reading. Despite all of the learning that took place to teach me those skills, nothing had ever rattled my brain like cursive.
    That Saturday, I asked my mother to buy me a writing tablet so I could practice what I was working on in school. Mother was pleased with my determination, thus we practiced all afternoon. With her help, I conquered what seemed mission impossible. Not only could I write legibly, but I crafted each letter with the exact precision I had once strived for. No longer was I burdened by the task of writing nor was I faced with embarrassment when Mrs. Fox would compare me to my classmates.
    Twirls, loops, with precise pencil strokes, I carefully crafted the letters onto the non-dotted line, reading proudly what was a legible piece of art: my name. 

Word count: 247

No comments:

Post a Comment