Saturday, September 3, 2011

What Defines Me

What defines a person? His or her actions, breathes, tangible items or intangible moments that seem to be priceless? A person can best be defined by his or her interests; intellectual interests influence our thinking and personal interests influence our actions and choices.

Social Psychology, theories on personality and intelligence are an interest of mine. Fascinated with why people are a certain way, I have a passion for working with people which provides opportunities to analyze their actions, based on age groups and social settings, to better understand and help them. I also have a curiosity in sexuality, gender, social constructs, and normalization in society because of the prevalence of gay rights in the news. My place at such a diverse institution also influences me to learn about my peers and to better understand society as a whole, especially in the means of how concepts are socially constructed and how greatly it influences society.


Children are another a major interest of mine. I have worked with many different types of children in a variety of settings. They are interesting to me because everyone, despite all of our differences as humans, has a childhood and was a child at one point. Being able to influence a child’s up-bringing for the better motivates me.

My passion for creativity, psychology, and children has heavily influenced my career choice of child-life specialization. My personal interest in improving the lives of children in hospitals has influenced my actions. I have volunteered with domestically abused children and raised money for children at John’s Hopkins Children Center.


In combining intellectual and personal interests, I am able to define myself as more than a mere student of Psychology, cheerleader, sister, friend, or other various roles. Rather, the intersectionality of the roles is how I can be defined. 




Word Count: 299

No comments:

Post a Comment